Sunday, April 15, 2007

Batik

When I first saw the article on "Chic Batik", I passed on reading it. It sounded unusual and complicated and since I am known for trying a new technique almost as soon as I have finished reading about it or being told about it, I put it aside until I had more time. So I have just finished reading about how to do this and it really sounded simple. Of course there are many steps to reach the finished product, but it sounded like so much fun. I LOVE art! So here goes my interpretation of how to make Batik patterns that we see from Indonesia and Asian culture. For this technique you will need the following supplies: VersaMark, embossing powder, white mulberry paper, sponges or sponge daubers, ink pads, refills or watercolor wonder crayons, copy paper and an iron.

Step 1
Pick two to three colors that will work well together.

Step 2
Emboss your image onto the white mulberry paper.

Step 3
After the embossing is complete, wet the paper and using a sponge or sponge daubers dab color onto the wet paper. (Be careful not to drag the ink across the paper as it is easy to tear when wet.)

Step 4
The process can be repeated starting with embossing. Make sure to start with the lightest color first and progressively move to darker colors.

Step 5
Place completed image between two pieces of copy paper and place a warm iron over it. The embossing powder with melt onto the copy paper and not stick to your project.

Please note that you may need to heat the image several times to get the embossing powder off using new copy paper each time and if you are using the watercolor wonder crayons, color the pigment onto a damp sponge and dab the color on your project.

No comments: